Friday, March 17, 2006

shwph (bruise)


Note: The following are several closing paragraphs from my manuscript of this Sunday’s sermon (03/19/06).

Title: Victory through Bruising!
Text: Genesis 3.14-15

At one time we were enemies of God, dead in our transgressions and sins, following the ways of this world. We were a captive of the Serpent, the ruler of the kingdom of the air, the spirit who is now at work in those who are disobedient. We were far off from God’s mercy! But because of His great love for us, God, who is rich in mercy, made us alive with Christ even when we were dead in transgressions – it is by grace you have been saved (Ephesians 2.1ff).

Indeed if Jesus has saved you from the condemnation of the Serpent and his seed, then you have been brought near to the heel of the Cross and now stand in victory over the Serpent. God has saved you and you now belong to Him. As such, the promises enumerated to the godly seed in Genesis 3:15 belong to you.

So be not wooed by the dying gasps of an old snake. The enmity between Eve and Satan, between Eve’s seed and the serpent’s, between the Son of God and the prince of darkness has not relented. Yet, the victory has been sealed, and Satan’s power has been crushed by the Cross. Let us not cease to bruise the enemies of God with the gospel of Christ until all of His foes have been vanquished.

2 comments:

jel said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
revdrron said...

Thanks for asking master brown (alias, the Bruiser)… I write out my entire sermon manuscript and I preach it with commentary. Often I memorize large portions of the manuscript but mostly I rely on the Holy Spirit to lead the conversation. So, I keep my manuscript on the pulpit and follow it from a distance, not verbatim. The Holy Spirit often leads me to a conversation with God over something not clarified in the manuscript. Mainly, I see a sermon as a conversation between God and me, shared with the other Sunday morning worshippers. In short, preaching is like me reading a personal love letter (with commentary) to my lover aloud with the family present and listening.

worship & enjoy, ron