To believe the unsaved possesses a volitional will to assent to the truth of the Scriptures, is to assume one can believe without any initiative by God. But the Scriptures are clear, in that the unsaved:
- is deceitful and desperately sick (Jer. 17:9).
- is full of evil (Mark 7:21-23).
- loves darkness rather than light (John 3:19).
- is unrighteous, does not understand, does not seek for God (Rom. 3:10-12).
- is helpless and ungodly (Rom. 5:6).
- is dead in his trespasses and sins (Eph. 2:1).
- is by nature a child of wrath (Eph. 2:3).
- cannot understand spiritual things (1 Cor. 2:14).
- is a slave of sin (Romans 6:16-20).
We are not “born again” as a result of something we have done, but solely on the basis of God’s sovereign will and power.
Soli Deo Gloria!