Thursday, April 10, 2003

Written Word:
Psalm 27:1-14: 1 The LORD is my light and my salvation; whom shall I fear? The LORD is the stronghold of my life; of whom shall I be afraid? 2 When evildoers assail me to devour my flesh - my adversaries and foes - they shall stumble and fall. 3 Though an army encamp against me, my heart shall not fear; though war rise up against me, yet I will be confident. 4 One thing I asked of the LORD, that will I seek after: to live in the house of the LORD all the days of my life, to behold the beauty of the LORD, and to inquire in his temple. 5 For he will hide me in his shelter in the day of trouble; he will conceal me under the cover of his tent; he will set me high on a rock. 6 Now my head is lifted up above my enemies all around me, and I will offer in his tent sacrifices with shouts of joy; I will sing and make melody to the LORD. 7 Hear, O LORD, when I cry aloud, be gracious to me and answer me! 8 "Come," my heart says, "seek his face!" Your face, LORD, do I seek. 9 Do not hide your face from me. Do not turn your servant away in anger, you who have been my help. Do not cast me off, do not forsake me, O God of my salvation! 10 If my father and mother forsake me, the LORD will take me up. 11 Teach me your way, O LORD, and lead me on a level path because of my enemies. 12 Do not give me up to the will of my adversaries, for false witnesses have risen against me, and they are breathing out violence. 13 I believe that I shall see the goodness of the LORD in the land of the living. 14 Wait for the LORD; be strong, and let your heart take courage; wait for the LORD!

Catechism:
Question 6. What is the first article of the Apostles' Creed? "I believe in God the Father Almighty, Maker of heaven and earth."

Traditional English Version
I believe in God the Father Almighty, Maker of heaven and earth.

And in Jesus Christ his only Son our Lord; who was conceived by the Holy Ghost, born of the Virgin Mary, suffered under Pontius Pilate, was crucified, dead, and buried; he descended into hell; the third day he rose again from the dead; he ascended into heaven, and sitteth on the right hand of God the Father Almighty; from thence he shall come to judge the quick and the dead.

I believe in the Holy Ghost; the holy catholic Church; the communion of saints; the forgiveness of sins; the resurrection of the body; and the life everlasting. AMEN.


Vocab:
henotheism \HEH-nuh-thee-ih-zum ("th" as in "think")\ noun : the worship of one god without denying the existence of other gods

importunate \im-POR-tyoo-nit\ adjective 1 : troublesomely urgent : overly persistent in request or demand *2 : troublesome

Quotations of the day:
"The game is over." Mohammed Aldouri, Iraq's ambassador to the United Nations.

"When two men in business always agree, one of them is unnecessary." (William Wrigley Jr.)

News:
Nanotube Web Could Mimic Brain: Technology Research News - April 9, 2003 Researchers from NASA Ames Research Center have found a way to grow minuscule webs of connected carbon nanotubes. Carbon nanotubes are rolled-up sheets of carbon atoms that appear naturally in soot, and are central to many nanotechnology projects. Nanotube networks could herald a new type of electronics that have huge numbers of random connections, a setup similar to a brain's synapses. Such networks could also form sensors, parts for conventional electronics, or templates for assembling materials molecule-by-molecule.

Inventor Imagines Future Phones CHICAGO -- Thirty years after the first cellular phone call, inventor Martin Cooper still dreams about the day when futuristic telephone technology is a reality. Cooper's dream telephone is so small that it fits behind his ear, automatically dials out when he thinks about calling someone and it notifies him of incoming calls with a tickle instead of a ring.

U.S. Forces Take Control of Baghdad: by Patrick E. Tyler http://www.nytimes.com/todaysheadlines

KUWAIT, Thursday, April 10 - Much of Baghdad tumbled into American hands on Wednesday as Saddam Hussein's image was pulled down from pedestals and portraiture in the city. But American and British commanders said the war in Iraq, including the battle for Baghdad, was not over and faced critical days ahead.

Just a thought: College protests in America began in the 1960s, right? Not quite. Back up a couple hundred years. What did Harvard students have to complain about back in 1766? The impending war? Unmanageable class sizes? The cost of quill pens? Nope, it was all about butter. Known historically as the Great Butter Rebellion, the students were upset at the poor quality of the butter that was being served with their meals, so they did what most college students would do - they griped about it. "Behold, our butter stinketh!" wrote Asa Dunbar, Harvard student and later grandfather of none other than Henry David Thoreau. Did the establishment buckle, and provide the students with the better butter they bitterly battled for? Of course not. Instead, they punished over half the student body with suspensions and expulsions. Perhaps they should have asked: "Parkay?"

No comments: